Posted by Southwest Beverages on 12/18/2014
Any time you consider doing business with a company (whether on a personal or professional level), you should take a moment to research and consider their core values. The core values of a company reflect their internal identity, and are an integral reason for the company’s success. These values, embraced by senior management and accepted by their staffs, will define the culture of the company and will stand testament to the endurance and success of the company.
Typically a company’s core values are posted on their website, or can be obtained by calling their customer service number. Study the ranking of the core values, this will tell you what is important to a particular company. Once you have learned what core values the company considers important, evaluate them based on their own criteria.
In my opinion, customer satisfaction should always ranked as the number 1 core value. Customer satisfaction is the end result of all that a company does. Think about it, customer satisfaction begins with a clear understanding of the customers’ wants and needs. It then translates into flavorful, high quality products that ends only when the company products have exceeded the customers’ expectations.
To me, product quality should be listed as the 2nd core value. We often hear people use the word, “professional” in defining either the quality of their work or who they are. To me, a dedicated professional is a person who possesses a high level of technical competence and who then continually quests for excellence in all that they do. The end result of their quest for excellence translates into an exceedingly high level of premium quality products.
Other core values I consider to be important, in descending order of importance, are:
- Career Development - The hallmark of any company’s success is their people. At Southwest Beverages we believe in giving full consideration to every employee’s career development through direct peer mentoring, formal training and increased responsibilities.
- Team Work - At Southwest Beverages we believe in bringing together the most talented individuals our company has to offer to form a team that devotes its energy towards providing our customers with the best quality product at its fairest price.
- Independence - Fast growing, successful, companies create an atmosphere of independent openness for its employees and encouraged them to present their ideas without undue restraint.
- Fairness - ALL customers, vendors and co-workers must be treated in a fair and equal manner. The end result-long lasting, valued relationships.
- Ethics & Integrity - Does the company believe in dealing with its customers, employees, vendors and society, in general, with the highest professional and personal standards of ethics and integrity.
- Leadership - Management should not simply create the environment where the employee executes the action the executive desires, but rather each executive should lead by example and be a coach and a mentor-fostering each employee to their maximum potential.
And finally, one must consider the mission statement of the company. In my opinion, every company’s mission statement should have words to the effect that “they will support the communities to which they serve”.
If you run your own company, I strongly encourage you to set your values on paper. Let the world see what you stand for and welcome their judgment. And whenever you do business with a company, learn their values so you can determine if they deserve your business.
Written by Bob Jenkins, Founder & Chief Executive Officer of Southwest Beverages®
Bob has had the privilege of working for some of America’s largest and well run public and private companies, including Philip Morris, Canada Dry, Dr Pepper, Cadbury Schweppes, Snapple Beverage Corporation, Tasker Capital Corp. and The Water Club and River Cafe – two of New York’s finest fine dining restaurants. He has worked in various capacities as Finance Manager, Controller, Director of Finance, Vice President Finance & Administration, Chief Financial Officer, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Bob holds a Masters of Business Administration degree in accounting from the University of Tennessee and a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting from the University of Arizona.
Southwest Beverages® is a manufacturer and marketer of two brands of premium quality dry mix beverages: Sippity® hot cocoa mixand Kemosabe® gourmet flavored coffee. All Southwest Beverages® products are uniquely blended flavors that contain all the ingredients necessary for you to enjoy the ultimate hot beverage experience. Simply add water and stir-then sip, savor and enjoy.
For more information, please visit www.southwestbeverages.com.
Interested in writing a guest blog for Southwest Beverages®?Send your topic idea to [email protected].
All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Southwest Beverages® makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, current-ness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.